This listing of the photographers and studios operating in Brisbane from 1855 to 1901, is an abridged version of the print publication 'Capturing Brisbane'.
Mann, Arthur Sabin
Arthur Mann arrived in Victoria from England in February 1879. Mann was reputedly active as a photographer from about 1880. He was working in Mt Alexandria, Victoria in mid-1883, then moved to Charleville, Queensland in 1887. In June 1888 he travelled to Brisbane where he found employment with Poul C Poulsen in Queen Street, Brisbane. There he advanced to position of head operator in the studio during the 1890s. Mann moved to Western Australia around 1898.
Daniel Marquis was born in Glasgow, Scotland is believed to have learnt his trade as a photographer there during the early 1850s. He emigrated to Queensland and established a studio in George Street, Brisbane early in 1866. He earned a reputation for his studio portraits, including those of local Indigenous people, and photographic views of Brisbane buildings, streets, and scenery. To his customers he offered plain or enamelled carte de visite, portraits in oil or water colours, miniature photographs for jewellery, and stereoscopic views.
When the Queensland Government presented Prince Alfred, the Duke of Edinburgh, with a photographic album in 1868 containing views of Brisbane, Ipswich, and the Darling Downs, all the Brisbane photographs were taken by Daniel Marquis. In August 1870 Marquis’ panorama of Brisbane taken from Bowen Terrace was the basis of an engraving for reproduction and sale. Other photographs of his local scenery and portraits were converted to magic lantern slides and displayed at community fund-raising events. At the Brisbane Exhibition in August 1877 Marquis also displayed another large-sized panorama of Brisbane, which was reprinted after his death. Daniel Marquis died in Brisbane in January 1879. His business was sold to the Imperial Photo Company .
Little is known of Thomas Mason who had a photographic studio in Stanley Street, South Brisbane around June 1886. He was brought to the City Police Court in Brisbane in that month, charged with obtaining money on false pretences, having promised to supply a dozen photographs. The case did not proceed, however Mason did not reappear as a photographer in Brisbane.
Thomas Matthews worked as a photographer in Sheffield, England before arriving in Brisbane in November 1887. He lived in Linton Street, Kangaroo Point from 1889, but for whom he worked as a photographer over the next seven years is not known. In 1896 his photographs began to appear in the Queenslander, and around September of that year he took over the studio at 91 George Street, Brisbane formerly operated by Francis Keogh. By the following year he had extended his studio to allow for increased productivity, claiming 400 people were photographed in his studio in the week before Christmas 1897. His enlargements were advertised as his speciality, as were Christmas cards containing a portrait of the sitter. The studio also employed a photographer to specifically take outdoors scenes, including groups. Mathews was also noted for his shipping photography, some of which also appeared in the Queenslander.
Matthews’ George Street business was last advertised in June 1899 and the Dora Studio was operating from the site by August. He likely joined another studio as he remained in Brisbane working as a photographer until at least 1915.
Mathewson & Co
Mathewson & Co was formed around May 1879 by Thomas Mathewson and his elder brother Peter Mathewson, while trading as Mathewson Brothers. The two had been in business together as Mathewson Brothers since about August 1876, operating a boot and shoe outlet known as The Boot House, at 202 Queen Street Brisbane. Thomas Mathewson also ran a photographic studio from the same address. The brothers disposed of The Boot House at the end of July 1879, and concentrated on the photographic business Mathewson & Co, which operated at 202 Queen Street, Brisbane only for a few months.
A new purpose-built photographic gallery was erected at 221 Queen Street, Brisbane, and had opened by the end of July 1879. The new premises allowed Mathewson & Co to expand its products which included up to life-size enlargements, enlargements on opal glass, and ivory miniatures. A colourist was also employed. Business increased to the extent that appointments were recommended to avoid delays at the gallery.
The ‘press of business’ as it was described in an advertisement had led many aspiring sitters to leave the Mathewson gallery without having their photograph taken. To alleviate this the company erected a second gallery of three levels which was operating by October 1880. By mid-1881 Mathewson & Co had a workforce of 14 employed at the premises in all aspects of photographic production, including framing.
From 1882 Mathewson & Co began stocking chemicals and cameras and purchased second-hand cameras. The gallery was yet again enlarged to fit additional staff and equipment. Later in the year the company claimed to have mastered a new instantaneous process that would ensure a good picture of both children and adults. The introduction of dry plate process gave increased access to photography for amateurs, and Mathewson & Co were ready in early 1883 to sell dry plate kits and provide instruction to all. The company had most aspects of the photography covered in Brisbane, and a solid share of the local market.
The appointment of London photographer James Patching as manager of 221 Queen Street, and the hiring of landscape photographer and artist Charles Wright during 1883, and photographer William Rippon in 1884, enabled the Mathewson brothers time to consider increasing their market outside metropolitan Brisbane. Peter Mathewson visited Roma and Maryborough with a collection of opal and other enlargements to test the market. Orders were taken for enlargements from any glass, tin or card pictures, local shopkeepers acting as agents for Mathewson & Co.
Ipswich was the first city in which a branch studio was trialled, opening in July 1884. The studio was open a few days a week until the end of August, with a local agent appointed to deal with orders and payments. Thomas Mathewson also travelled north to Townsville and Charters Towers in late 1884 where he introduced the opal enlargements to the local market, and organised mail orders. In Rockhampton an agent was also appointed to facilitate orders for enlargements. Mail order copying and enlargements must have been a profitable endeavour and the advertising and canvassing push for them across the colony continued until early 1887.
Thomas Mathewson briefly visited Mackay in April 1886 leaving staff there, including his nephew John Mathewson, to operate a limited stay studio. Unlike the Ipswich experiment the Mackay studio produced carte de visite and cabinet portraits, and business was sufficient to keep the branch open into 1888, after which it moved to Charters Towers.
At the beginning of 1889 Mathewson & Co began additions and alterations to a property at 123 Queen Street, Brisbane in preparation for moving premises. In August of that year the new two-storey building was occupied. One of the first dignitaries to be photographed in the new studio was Governor Sir Henry Norman, whose visit had been delayed since May. Lady Norman and their daughter were also photographed, and the sale of their images by Mathewson was authorised by the Governor. The Governor’s satisfaction with the company also made good advertising copy.
“Times is Tite” were the introductory words to a Mathewson & Co advertisement of 1890, and with the depressed economic conditions it ultimately presaged events for the colony, and Mathewson & Co in particular. At the end of 1891 the company were reducing their prices by an advertised 20 to 60 per cent to encourage business. The Ipswich and Charters Towers studios remained operational and Thomas Mathewson personally opened a temporary studio in Toowoomba in February-March 1892. On return to Brisbane the financial realities of their business had to be confronted and in April a petition was filed in court for the liquidation of Mathewson Brothers. The creditors agreed to the liquidation of the estate by arrangement rather than through insolvency. Described as ‘the grandest business position in the city of Brisbane’, 123 Queen Street was prepared for auction. The photographic business itself was also offered for sale by tender, but none were accepted. Although passed in at auction 123 Queen Street was sold by negotiation. The new owners agreed to lease the studio to Mathewson & Co and the firm was able to re-open on 30 May 1892.
The much-reduced prices continued for most of 1892, and into 1893. To keep business Mathewson & Co offered a framed enlargement with each dozen cabinet portraits, an offer which ran for some months. By early 1894 their advertisements suggested ‘Times Improving’. The branch studio in Mackay was re-started in March, and in November Thomas Mathewson open a temporary branch in Warwick which he ran into February 1895.
The partnership that existed for 16 years between Peter Mathewson and Thomas Mathewson as Mathewson & Co was dissolved in March 1895, not long after Thomas returned from Warwick. The reason for the dissolution is unknown. Thomas Mathewson continued to carry on business as Mathewson and Co, accepting all debts and liabilities owed to the firm. Peter Mathewson set up a photographic studio with his sons at Petrie Bight. For about a year Mathewson & Co’s newspaper advertisements referred to Thomas Mathewson as ‘the original’ or sole proprietor of the company.
Mathewson & Co continued to meet the needs of its customers without great changes, having a record turnover in 1899. This was repeated in 1900, the platino-bromide process being particularly popular. In 1901 Mathewson & Co claimed to have turned out more enlargements than any other firm, which again contributed to another record year. At the turn of the new century Mathewson & Co was in a good market position. Although there were name changes in the 20th century, the link to Thomas Mathewson remained until his death in 1934.
Mathewson, P & Sons
Peter Mathewson established a new photographic studio P Mathewson & Sons in July 1895, after the partnership with his younger brother Thomas Mathewson came to an end. The business included at various times his sons Thomas Mathewson (Junior), Peter Mathewson (Junior) and Robert Mathewson. The portrait studio was located on Wickham Street, Petrie Bight between Ann and Boundary Streets.
The company claimed a difference in being able to take all photographs by the instantaneous process owing to good location and natural lighting. Enlargements were a mainstay of the business, and framing was done in-house. By 1901 bromide and platinotype photographs on a shaded mount were signatures of the company, and outside groups and landscapes were becoming more common products. Thomas Mathewson (Junior) was the last son to remain working with his father, and the business became P Mathewson & Son during the 1910s. Although it later relocated, the business continued to operate until early 1931.
John Mathewson worked with his father Peter Mathewson, and uncle Thomas Mathewson, in the firm Mathewson & Co, in Queen Street, Brisbane. He travelled with his uncle to Mackay in 1886 to establish and manage a branch of the company in that town. He later entered a partnership with Thomas Mathewson, also known as Mathewson & Co, to operate studios in Mackay and Charters Towers. When the partnership was dissolved in 1897, John retained the Charters Towers studio. He moved between Charters Towers and Mackay and was running the Mackay studio at the time of his death in 1909.
Peter Mathewson was born in Scotland and arrived in Queensland with his parents and siblings in 1853. He moved to the Gympie goldfields in 1868 where he bought a dairy farm. His younger brother Thomas Mathewson also moved to Gympie in 1868, where he set up a photographic gallery. The two moved to Brisbane in 1876 forming a company known as Mathewson Brothers. Together they ran a boot store in Queen Street, while Thomas Mathewson continued to work as a photographer from the same address. In 1879 they disposed of the boot store and formed Mathewson & Co to run the photographic business together. The business was profitable through the 1880s and survived the economic depression of the early 1890s. However, in March 1895 the partnership was dissolved, and Thomas Mathewson took on sole proprietorship of Mathewson & Co.
By July 1895 Peter Mathewson had established a new photographic studio P Mathewson & Sons at Petrie Bight, between Ann and Boundary Streets. Peter Mathewson was the principal operator at P Mathewson & Son until his death in Brisbane in 1923.
Mathewson, Peter (Junior)
Born in Brisbane Peter was the son of Peter Mathewson. With his brothers Robert Mathewson and Thomas Mathewson (Junior), he worked with his father in the photographic company P Mathewson & Sons.
Robert Mathewson was the son of Peter Mathewson. With his brothers Peter Mathewson (Junior), and Thomas Mathewson (Junior) he worked with his father in the photographic company P Mathewson & Sons at Petrie Bight. He also worked with his older brother John Mathewson in Mackay and after John’s death in 1909 assisted in the Mackay studio for a year. He returned to P Mathewson & Co until 1914, when he opened his own studio in South Brisbane.
Thomas Mathewson was born in Scotland and arrived with his parents and siblings in Brisbane in 1853. Both of his parents had died in Ipswich by 1855, and he and his younger sister Mary were taken care of by the Cribb and Foote families in Ipswich. He later noted that his interest in photography developed through an association with the Wesleyan minister Theophilus Beazley who was an active amateur photographer based in Ipswich between 1862 and 1864.
Mathewson had been assisting his older brother John in the Edinburgh Stores in Toowoomba when he decided to take up photography professionally. He opened a portrait gallery opposite the Post Office in Toowoomba on 16 January 1865. In November 1865 Thomas Mathewson took to the road as a travelling photographer, assisted by his brother John whose business had failed. Throughout 1866 and into 1867 Mathewson made his way across the Darling Downs, Maranoa, and Balonne regions to Mungindi on the Queensland border. He entered New South Wales and followed and inland route to Newcastle and then along the coast to Sydney arriving in December 1867. The recently discovered goldfields of Gympie was Mathewson’s next stop, and he opened portrait rooms there in April 1868.
In February 1872 Mathewson & Co was briefly formed to visit Maryborough to photograph all businesses, public buildings, and private residences. With whom the association was made is unknown, but it appears only to have lasted for that month. Thomas Mathewson then opened a portrait studio in Maryborough in May and departed for Rockhampton at the end of June. There he also took photographs of the buildings of the town during July and August. By April 1873 he was working in Townsville. He returned to Brisbane in February 1875 but a year later was in Bowen when a cyclone struck the town in February, and his gallery was destroyed.
Thomas Mathewson returned to Brisbane by August 1876, and with his brother Peter Mathewson set up a business selling footwear. The firm operated as Mathewson Brothers, in what had been Berkley & Taylor’s shop at 202 Queen Street. Thomas Mathewson also opened photographic rooms at the same address. Carte de visite, both in raised medallion and enamel finish and sold by the dozen, were his primary products. In a major step for his business, he acquired an ‘able Assistant’ in November, an unnamed photographer who had previously worked for Freeman Brothers in Sydney. During 1878 he altered the lighting in his photographic gallery, enabling production of what he described as a ‘New Rembrandt’ style of art photograph.
The Mathewson siblings decided to divest themselves of The Boot House During early 1879, and Peter Mathewson joined with his brother in the photographic business Mathewson & Co. The change also allowed the new business to move to another premises, which opened at the end of July 1878 at 221 Queen Street, Brisbane.
Thomas Mathewson married in September 1880 to Jane Reeve, who over the years assisted in the administration of the growing business. Although his partnership with his brother Peter ended in March 1895, Thomas Mathewson continued trading as the sole proprietor of Mathewson & Co into the 20th century. Thomas Mathewson remained actively associated with his photographic company until his retirement around 1926. His name was linked to the company until his death.
Mathewson, Thomas (Junior)
Thomas Mathewson was born in Brisbane, the son of Peter Mathewson. With his brothers Peter Mathewson (Junior) and Robert Mathewson, he worked with his father in the photographic company P Mathewson & Sons at Petrie Bight. Around 1916 he branched out to acquire the Austral Studio on the Valley Corner in Fortitude Valley. He operated it until around 1922 when it appears he returned to P Mathewson & Co at Petrie Bight. He took over the business after his father’s death in 1923.
Robert McClelland emigrated to Victoria leaving his wife and son in Scotland. By 1853 he was established as a Daguerrean artist in Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, taking Talbotype portraits and landscapes on glass or paper. His photographic work merited a silver medal at the 1854 Melbourne Exhibition. McClelland was working with photographers Batchelder & O’Neil in June 1857 when his wife and son reached Australia. McClelland was in Armidale by 1859 and by April he made his way to the Darling Downs, before returning to Sydney.
In October 1859 McClelland reached Brisbane, establishing the Brisbane Photographic Gallery in Queen Street and noting his visit was for a limited time. In addition to taking photographs of landscapes and local businesses, he offered a set of Brisbane views mounted on cloth three feet [0.9m] long, and stereoscopic views of Sydney. Robert McClelland stayed in Brisbane until January 1860 before he moved to Ipswich for a few months. He had returned to Brisbane by August 1860 and resided at Kangaroo Point. His photographs of the Queensland Parliament and Governor Bowen were also made available from the Queen Street rooms of photographer B L Stiebel.
McClelland pursued the life of a travelling photographer and spent a short time at Drayton and on the Darling Downs in 1862, and then along the northern coastal districts of the colony, though he returned to Brisbane where his wife and children were living. The family left for Sydney in early 1863. Robert McClelland returned to Queensland and was taking photographs in Rockhampton in 1870. He had travelled the northern areas and is also known to have taken images in Townsville, Gladstone, and Gin Gin. When his vehicle broke down in Maryborough early in 1871 he established a photographic studio in that town. Robert McClelland died in Maryborough in January 1872.
McGee, Stuart John
Stuart McGee worked for W & D Downey photographers in London, and on arriving in Australia circa 1890 continued in the photographic industry. He was employed with Falk Studio in Sydney, and McGee & McCredie in 1896. By 1897 he was the main operator for the Tosca Studio in Brisbane. When Tosca Studios were opened in October 1898 in Sydney, Stuart McGee was appointed manager there, a post he held until 1899.
Born in New Zealand, William McGuire is believed to have moved to Australia in the early 1880s. He was an itinerant photographer and travelled through parts of northern Queensland prior to arriving in Brisbane in 1885. He set up business in February in the Arcade in Queen Street. Based on his later activities it is likely he was taking photographs of local buildings and landscapes. He left Brisbane for Maryborough in May 1885.
Described as a skilful landscape photographer by a local newspaper, McGuire photographed the businesses and residences of Maryborough over the next few months. He exhibited his work, which also included natural landscapes, in the Kent Street studio formerly used by Edward Forster. He named it the Elite Studio and was working in it until May 1886. McGuire moved to Gympie to open a new studio in premises previously operated by George Richards taking photographs of landscape, businesses, gold mines and public infrastructure.
William McGuire then returned to Brisbane, where he formed a partnership with George Richards. Richards & McGuire had a photographic business in a Wickham Street shop near the Union Hotel, Fortitude Valley. Richards at the time was in Gympie so it is most likely McGuire was responsible for its management. The business ceased to operate around December 1887. McGuire was residing in Rosanna Street, Kangaroo Point around 1888-89, perhaps running a business from the house. McGuire returned to New Zealand in the early 1890s.
Geoffrey Fellows opened the Melba Studio on 23 June 1900 in the premises recently vacated by Tosca Studio at 67 Queen Street, Brisbane. With some redecoration and new backgrounds Melba Studio ran a smaller operation than Tosca. Photographing children was advertised as a speciality. John Fegan was noted as the studio manager in December 1900, though it is most likely he had been involved since its opening. Under his management the studio began to offer options specifically for bridal photography, picnics, or groups, including a popular ‘At Home’ session where the photographer visited the home to take the image. The Melba Studio survived only to February 1901. By arrangement however Tosca Studio had agreed to honour any Melba coupons and complete all work at the advertised prices.
Metcalfe, Daniel Frederick
Daniel Metcalfe was born in England, and after his father’s early death his mother Elizabeth married Thomas Skelton Glaister. Glaister took the family to New York in 1849 where he trained as a photographer. He then moved to Melbourne, and later opened a studio in Pitt Street, Sydney. Daniel Metcalfe stayed in the United States where he married, then joined his stepfather in Sydney, in September 1863.
Metcalfe set up his own studio in Pitt Street around June 1864, then joined Robert Millington, as Metcalfe & Millington, travelling photographers. They moved into northern New South Wales by late 1865. Metcalfe arrived alone in Brisbane around April 1866 looking for a building in Queen Street to rent as a photographic studio. He erected a gallery above Hughes’ premises in Queen Street, near Edward Street, which he opened in late May. The business appears to have been successful.
In December 1868 Metcalfe sold the studio to Alfred Wright. With his family Metcalfe left for Sydney staying until 1871 before sailing for the United States. There he worked as a photographer gaining experience in a few photographic galleries. He returned to Brisbane in April 1875 with his half-brother Thomas Glaister junior and acquired the Queen Street photographic business of John Watson. They operated the venture successfully as Metcalfe & Glaister. The accidental death of Thomas Glaister junior in August 1877 drew a promising partnership to a sad close.
Daniel Metcalfe continued business under the firm’s name for another year employing William Bennett to assist, and then joining him in partnership as Metcalfe & Bennett. The new partnership came with a new Brisbane studio, opened in October 1878 in Smith’s Building on Queen Street, near the Victoria Bridge. The dissolution of the partnership in March 1879 left Bennett with the studio and all debts and liabilities. The owners of the Imperial Photographic Company  employed Daniel Metcalfe around May 1879 to manage the revamped studio of the late Daniel Marquis in George Street, Brisbane.
Remaining with the company until March 1880, Metcalfe re-joined William Bennett in opening a studio in Maryborough as a branch of the American Photographic Co in April. The firm stayed in Maryborough only until May. Daniel Metcalfe briefly returned to Brisbane before travelling back to Maryborough in August 1880. For the rest of his working career Metcalfe operated in partnerships and studios across country Queensland, particularly in the Gympie and Maryborough region. He died in Childers in 1902.
Metcalfe & Bennett
Daniel Metcalfe and William Bennett formally established a business arrangement as Metcalfe & Bennett around October 1878, opening a new gallery in Smiths Buildings, between George Street and North Quay, Brisbane. Bennett had been working for Metcalfe & Glaister since July 1878. Mary Bennett continued with the new company, providing the partners with the ability to tint or colour photographs. The negatives taken by John Watson and Metcalfe & Glaister were also available to the partnership. In March the firm of Metcalfe & Bennett was dissolved, Metcalfe retiring from the business and leaving it with Bennett. Although Metcalfe and Bennett worked together later in 1880, they did not work under the old partnership name.
Metcalfe & Glaister
Metcalfe & Glaister was formed in late April 1875 by half-brothers Daniel Metcalfe and Thomas Glaister, who had just arrived from the United States of America. They acquired the business of John Watson located in Queen Street, Brisbane, and advertised the introduction of new styles of portraiture in Berlin, Rembrandt, and Shadow Lights. They offered enamelled photographs, raised photo-enamels, enamelled cameos, and glace portraits with a silk or Berlin finish.
The partnership received a first-class certificate for their portrait entries at the 1876 Brisbane Exhibition. They also produced a souvenir of the exhibition in the shape of a small photographic card containing multiple views of the city, prominent public buildings, the Governor, and a self-portrait of the photographers. The card was best viewed with a graphiscope, an optical device used to magnify images. Cabinet portraits taken of the principal performers of an Italian Opera Company during their visit to Brisbane, were described in Sydney as ‘exquisite specimen of the photographic art worthy to be placed side by side with American specimens.’ At the NSW Intercolonial Exhibition of 1877, cabinet portraits and carte de visite exhibited by Metcalfe & Glaister were highly commended.
The accidental death of Thomas Glaister in August 1877 was undoubtedly a shock to his family. It appears to have also had an impact on the artistic style of the company. Although Daniel Metcalfe kept the business operating its public profile was understandably subdued.
A branch of the firm was opened in Toowoomba in late December 1877, running until March 1878. William Bennett began work for the firm in Dalby in April 1878, managing a short-term studio. It is possible he had also managed the Toowoomba branch. Around July 1878 Bennett was brought onto the Brisbane staff, bringing not only his own considerable experience, but also his wife Mary, artist and colourist. In addition, a recently imported large Voightlander lens gave the firm the ability to produce unusually large photographs on-site. These changes were followed by the granting of an exclusive right to take all photographs for the 1878 Brisbane Exhibition. After the Exhibition however the business of Metcalfe & Glaister was wound up, to be replaced by Metcalfe & Bennett.
Mills, John Henry
When travelling photographer William Boag arrived in Yatala in late 1871, he joined up with English born John Henry Mills, a former bailiff at the Beenleigh Court. By July 1872 Mills and Boag were in Brisbane photographing public buildings and private residences. It was perhaps at this time Boag and Mills formed their association with the Australian Photographic Company. Mills was in Stanthorpe by September 1872, noting he was an agent of the company and able to supply copies of Boag’s photographs.
Mills and Boag travelled to Warwick and then on to Mackay in 1873. They were also at St Lawrence, Cooktown, Copperfield and Clermont over the next few years, but parted company around 1876. Mills joined photographer Albert Reckitt as Reckitt & Mills around 1877, travelling across much of the colony before returning to Mackay where they sold their travelling photographic equipment.
Mouland, Albert Henry
At 16 years old Albert Mouland was already employed as a photographer in England and within a few years had his own studios in Trowbridge and Melksham. He emigrated to South Australia in 1884 and Mouland moved to New South Wales where in July 1886 he joined E Frederick in a photographic studio in Singleton. The partners moved to Toowoomba where they built the Rembrandt Photographic Gallery of Art in Ruthven Street, opening it on 1 September 1887. The company ceased operations at the end of December 1887 and Mouland moved on to work for Elite Photo Studio in Toowoomba. During 1888 Mouland married Jeannie Bain, sister of James Bain. Mouland had hoped to open a photographic studio in South Brisbane, instead he acquired the Elite Photo Co from his employers Platt & Co, and operated the business under the company name of J Mouland & Co; J being for Jeannie Mouland his wife who also worked for the studio.
The economic depression of the 1890s claimed the business and Albert Mouland was declared insolvent in April 1891. His photographic equipment and some household items were auctioned to pay his debts. He continued trading and by the end of 1892 Mouland’s studio was again acknowledged as an innovative business, having introduced the opaline process to Toowoomba. The financial vagaries of a photographic business again saw the public auction of his cameras and furniture to meet debts in early 1893. The firm however, remained solvent.
At the end of 1895 Mouland’s brother-in-law James Bain who had moved from amateur to professional photographer, established the Trilby Studio in Toowoomba. Albert Mouland was employed by Trilby in 1896. Trilby became the Bain Studio in 1898 and by 1901 a branch of the firm was opened in Queen Street, Brisbane. Albert Mouland and his family moved to Vulture Street in West End in September 1901, and likely had a role in the branch. Bain Studio’s foray into the Brisbane market however was limited, and it withdrew back to Toowoomba at the end of 1903.
Mouland remained in Brisbane and took work with John Fegan until about August 1905. In September that year he commenced a partnership with Benjamin Taylor and as Taylor and Mouland they ran studios in both Brisbane and Ipswich until June 1906, when it was taken over by Taylor’s wife. The Mouland family moved to Manly for a few years before returning to South Brisbane about 1917. Albert continued to take photographs during this time but does not appear to have operated a business.
Muirhead, Alexander Smith
Sydney-born Alexander Muirhead was working as a photographer in Brisbane by 1894, though it is not known for whom. It is possible he was following that trade for a couple of years, though by 1908 he appears to have taken a very different path and found employment as a jockey.
Munro, Edward Augustus
Edward Munro was born in Adelaide, South Australia and made his was to Sydney in 1883. He likely learned the photographic trade there. Munro was in Beenleigh around 1888. Early in 1889 he joined Heinrich Overlack in a business partnership, and the two travelled to Rockhampton in May. They returned to Brisbane where they opened the Imperial Photo Company  in October1889. Overlack appears as the proprietor in most directories however photographs survive showing Munro also individually noted as proprietor of the company. The partners sold the Imperial Photo Company around June 1890 and appear to have pursued their own interests.
Munro may have remained in Brisbane working as a photographer. In March 1894 he married Annie Overlack, eldest daughter of his former business partner. Over the next few years he worked as a photographer in Townsville and Longreach. Munro returned to South Brisbane in 1899 continuing to work as a photographer. Munro moved to Melbourne and then in 1902 travelled to Western Australia where he had a photographic business in Carnavon.